The Synod Theology Group has been established to draw on theological, educational and research expertise of key people in the Archdiocese of Liverpool to advise the Synod Planning Group as to theological dimensions of Synod 2020.
The main tasks of this group are:
- To underpin the process and Synod with theological comment and critique.
- To translate aspects of synodality in the church into the language that is easily accessible on parish level.
- To be a theological sounding board during the synod process.
- To offer comment on the feedback of the listening process in parishes.
- For delegates of the group to be ‘theological experts’ at the Synod.
- To add theological and historical reflections to emerging questions
- To inform the debate and make it ‘inspirational.’
ResourcesNEW: Listening in a Synodal Church
(A 2019 talk by Fr Peter Fleetwood)NEW: The Meaning of Synod: A Short GuideSynodality in the Life and Mission of the Church
(International Theological Commission, 2018)Synodality and Primacy During the First Millennium
(Joint International Commission for Theological Dialogue
between the Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church, 2016)Walking Together on the Way: Learning to Be the Church—Local, Regional, Universal
(ARCIC III, 2017)A Catholic Commentary on Walking Together on the Way
(Ormond Rush, 2018)Diocesan Synods in Canon Law
- The Canons from the 1983 code which pertain to a Diocesan Synod
The Synod Theology Group
is:Rev Stephen Pritchard
, Synod Working PartyRev Dr Peter McGrail
, Associate Professor and Head of Department of Theology, Philosophy and Religious Studies. Liverpool Hope UniversityProfessor John Sullivan
, Emeritus Professor, Liverpool Hope UniversityDr Ros Stuart-Buttle
, Senior Lecturer in Theology and Education, Centre for Christian Education, Liverpool Hope UniversityRev Dr Taras Khomych
, Lecturer in Theology, Department of Theology, Philosophy and Religious Studies, Liverpool Hope University Rev Dr Andrew Unsworth PGCE
, Coordinator for Clergy Formation, Archdiocese of Liverpool.Mr Paul Robbins BSc, ACA, JCL, MCL
, CanonistDr Dominika Kurek-Chomycz
, Senior Lecturer in New Testament Studies, Department of Theology, Philosophy and Religious Studies, Liverpool Hope UniversityDr Gergely Juhasz
, Senior Lecturer in Theology, Department of Theology, Philosophy and Religious Studies, Liverpool Hope University.
They can be contacted via the Synod Office.